Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Game UP! Could This Be A Motif?


      The average mind might see these images and say, "So, what?!?" That one is absolutely correct and right, being singular. However, a collective mine must ask, "What is really going on and happening here?" I thought it was visual poetry given that the basketball image is page ten of my book. 


The photo of the basketball hoop was taken April 09, 2008.  Being the day after my first post/entry/blog, this is synchronistically connected. I didn't plan to take the picture forcing or setting the date. I am presenting the information as it comes. The imagery may be unnoticeable: offensive and disturbing. To some this may be read as plain and simple: ugly defacement. Is this a faceless crime? Could this be an offense that is only witnessed or experienced by casual participants who chose to play ball "over there?" Perhaps, it is so pervasive that, "There is no point cleaning it up, they just keep coming back. The only hope maybe is to catch the criminals." (These quotes are my emphasis, only.)
Robert Byrne said, "Getting caught is the mother of invention." Byrne is also noted for saying, "The purpose of life is a life of purpose." Ignoring a voice because we don't like the sound or aesthetic is what is the foundation of hate. We are suppose to be more civilized than to knowingly hate. Aren't we? Michael Walsh's book Graffito is a great angle on how graffiti was viewed ten years ago. Most of his imagery and text are tags and throw ups done in the Bay area. Also, he has interviewed several graffiti artists about their efforts including the positive and negative perspectives of related government officials.
The intent in using this image to blog is to create a whole new perspective. The smaller picture to the right is my book's page ten: trash surrounding a basketball near a gutter. I snapped the picture because of the irony or lack there of, of baskets. After writing my first entry, I went to the basketball court less than one block from my house. The pictured hoop is what I saw. Some may think this is useless banter. Nonetheless, I am here to state that, " I have the balls to save the Universe!" Page ten is merely one example. Please join in and leave your comments or questions... 

2 comments:

C. E. Moore Art said...

OKay, this is posted early a few hours. But, nonetheless an accurate publishing relaying visual facts. I home school my son and part of our process is working at the Museum of African Diaspora, in the City. So, I was forced to stretch the time of posting. I want to establish a Tuesday theme in ode to the god Mars. I am an Aries born year of the rooster. Cocky is my nature.

Quiche said...

Self-confidence, self-worth and a sense of purpose in who you are, what you are here for is not arrogance. Artists, given who they are, the unique, eccentric, nifty oddballs of the universe have the unique task of being a voice for the voiceless, and presenting it in a way that transcends language, culture, time. Say it with confidence, with balls, no apologies, and those who have the wisdom and vision to hear it and see it will. I love the Robert Burne quote! Loved the graffiti on the long since torn down Berlin wall which made a bigger, lasting, effectual, transformative statement than the wall itself made. Graffiti has always been such. Great post C!